Friday, November 21, 2008

All Things Fauji and Fantastic

Tears swell up my eyes every time I watch a movie on the armed forces. No I am not weak; it’s just that I feel a connection, not only with the characters in the movie but also with that lonely soldier walking on the streets unaware and unsure of the largely civilian world. But for some reason, I love these movies, no matter how pathetic the plaot or the acting is. Why? That’s because I am a little crazy and love all things even remotely attached to the military world.

The craze started long before I got married to the olive green, with our very own Fauji, the famous serial of Shahrukh Khan. But my actual brush of real army movie was( on my husband’s insistence) with Saving Private Ryan, though the plot is great I loved it for Tom Hanks didn’t you? It has that old world military charm of risking your own life to save another. I simply loved the sheer intensity showed by the soldiers in actually saving Pvt Ryan and helping him finish the battle. The other military movie I like is From Here to Eternity, only for the purity of emotions. Uncle Sinatra you still make us swoon…..

Border was the first indian movie on the war I watched and simply loved it. I loved it for Akshay Khanna and Rakhi. Never saw better mother-son emotions on screen. Even when the movie ended I kept thinking about this blind mother and her life without her son. But I am still waiting for that rocking hindi movie on faujis which captivates the real essence of an Indian soldier.

Schindler’s List also holds a special place in my heart for a cinematic brilliance. Set in a military backdrop it depicts a human side in the not so human times. Next on my list to watch war movies is Apocalypse Now, have heard that it is a great piece of work on Vietnam War. Do share if you have seen some other great military flicks…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true. And its so surprising that US has never fought a war on its own soil but still those people make such great war movies and while we have fought 4 wars (including 1948) and more than 2 decades of insurgency, our directors dont feel like making movies on our heroes.
Well, I have seen a lot of these movies BUT my all time fav is "HAQEEQAT". Nobody has been so close to real soldier's emotions so far than this one. Have watched it many times. I strongly recomend this one if you havent watched so far.

Unknown said...

Yaaa, it’s very true. I am admiring to the movies. Infect I watch the TV serial “Fauji” when m in school and that time it was my favorite.
“Border”…..mmmm, I think its Fabulous. Every time I watch the movie, not only my eyes but my heart goes…. naaaa, don’t cry baby. The song “Sandese aate hain…” is able to make you cry. Infect my Uncle, who is in army, also crying, every time when he listen the song.
I am a big fan of Faujis, infect want to become one, but i know its not possible. Anyway, m really happy to have a Friend, Di, and Idol….. Like you.
Keep it up…….

Manoj Pamar said...

सत्य वचन। कुछ पल के लिए ही सही देशभक्ति का संदेश देने वाली फिल्में अवाम के जमीर को जगाती हैं। सही मायने में देखा जाए तो आज की युवा पीढ़ी को देश की सीमा के पहरेदारों के बारे में जानकारी ही फिल्मों के माध्यम से मिल पाती है। इसकी वजह यह है कि देश में बहुमत उन पेरेंट्स का ज्यादा है जो अपने बच्चों से चंद पल भी देशभक्ति जैसे मुद्दे पर बांटना नहीं चाहते। आपका ब्लॉग देशभक्ति की शीतल बयार का अहसास करता है, इसलिए आपसे आग्रह है कि सैनिक और उनके परिवारों की भावनाएं आप निरंतर अवाम तक पहुंचाती रहें। शुभकामनाओं के साथ।